This site is produced for Microsoft Internet Explorer - and all of the documents which Terry uploads under the “news” and “updates” sections are also produced using Microsoft Office products. To be fair to Terry, he has done really well, considering that his background is in no way IT related - so this method makes it reasonably straightforward for him to maintain the site. And more importantly, it lets me spend less time looking after the site and more time in Vu Cafe, South Bar and at the helm of Bfor........
Hence - given all this Microsoft Software it is not surprising that you will have the least amount of problems using a version of Internet Explorer to access the site! (And please - spare me the emails about how insecure IE is, I retired from the IT industry several years ago so have no further interest in the debate, sorry!)
However - the harsh reality of statistics and Bill Gates hold on the marketplace is that users of IE account for 70% of the visitors to the site each year. So we cater for the majority with our simplistic policy.
Nevertheless, you can access the site using Firefox - so here is what to do if you use Firefox and want to make the site easier to access:-
- Download IE view from the following locations
- Install the Add-on into Firefox
- Mark the site lagosnavigators.net as being one that is “always opened in an IE view”.
Thats about it really - Firefox will access the site anyway without this add-on, but behaves slightly differently to the way that IE does when encountering Terry’s MS Office documents.
(Incidentally you can use the IE Tabs Add-on in Firefox to the same effect if that suits you better).
You can also access the site using Google Chrome. The process is very similar to Firefox:-
- Using Chrome, Go into the list of Google Chrome Extensions at https://chrome.google.com/extensions/list/popular
- Click on the “IE Tab” Extension
- Then on the next page - click on Install
- Once the IE Tab extension is installed in Chrome - go to www.lagosnavigators.net
- When the home page is displayed - click the small round blue IE “world” button on the far RHS of the address bar
(This will display the page using the Internet Explorer tab)
- The page will be redisplayed with a new address bar shown - and to the RHS of the new address bar, click the screwdriver (settings) icon
- Click “ADD” so that lagosnavigators.net is added to the sites to be handled in this way.
Once you do this all pages of the Navigators Web site will open correctly in Chrome
Hope this helps?